Year 5&6-Week 8

Press play to hear Christine read out the instructions for this lesson. 

Learning Goal: I can make a still life artwork inspired by David Hockney’s Ipad drawings.

Still life- A still life is a piece of art where the subject is an arrangement of objects. Traditionally, they include organic objects like fruit and flowers and everyday household items like glassware, ceramics and textiles which have been set on a table. Sometimes the objects have personal importance to the artist.

Materials:

• Arts book or paper to work on.
  • Coloured pencils.
  • Grey lead pencil.
  • Ipad with Drawing application* THIS IS OPTIONAL

Your task- to make your own still life artwork inspired by the digital creations of artist David Hockey. You will explore still life artworks. You can use conventional art materials (paint and pencils) or you can use your ipad or computer to make art like Hockney!

NOTE: If you have an iPad drawing application then feel free to do this task on that! If you don’t do the drawing like I have done in the examples.

First, look at these artworks by the artist David Hockney.

• What do you notice?
  • How has Hockney made these works?
  • What objects have been use? Most everyday objects are not considered particularly interesting. Why do you think David Hockney has decided to use these objects?
  • Which everyday objects can you find in your home that have importance to you or somehow bring meaning to your life?
  • What words could you use to describe the colour and line in these artworks? Make a list.

Next, look around your house for furniture and objects to arrange together to create unique still life compositions.

Consider how different combinations of objects might convey meaning. For example, an arrangement of toys might make you think of when you were a small child or a placement of stationery on your desk might express ideas relating to school and study.

Create 2 different compositions/positioning of your objects.

Composition 1

Composition 2

I chose some objects that mean something to me. This tea pot was one of the first things I bought myself before moving out of my family home and into my current home. The water bottle was a special gift and the nail polish reminds me of celebrations and fun times I will have once lockdown is over.

Then, begin by sketching your two composition for your still life artwork.

Your sketches don’t need to be detailed, but take note of basic shapes and forms, where the objects are in relation to other objects. Are there shadows? Where is the light coming from? Drawing is all about looking for shapes. Spend time looking at the objects, take your time.

Finally, choose a vibrant and exaggerated colour scheme for each sketch. Consider how your choice of colours might express a mood, feeling or idea.

I’ve just used minimal colours. I chose to keep everything light. I wanted you to see the mistakes I have made (remember I love mistake-they show we are trying and learning).

Well done, Amazing Artist! I’d love you to send me a photo to my email address:

Christine.caminiti@education.vic.gov.au